Tuesday, August 12, 2008

exercise #7.2 - RSS searching

This exercise was interesting as it brought to light some alternate ways of searching for blogs.

The Bloglines tool was particularly helpful in finding rss feeds because it had a function which allowed the user to limit the search to rss feeds. I found it easy to search for feeds about my favourite band My Chemical Romance.

The next suggested tool I tried was Topix.net. While this was an useful tool for searching for blogs, not all of the blogs presented had rss feeds. Secondly, it was unable to bring up any useful feeds or blogs about my band :P. It would be useful if you were searching for a specific news feed or maybe for articles for an assignment.

Another suggested tool that I implemented in my quest to gain more feeds was Syndic8. Syndicate seemed more to be aimed at people's personal blogs and feeds from the few searches I carried out and didn't bring up any results for some search words.

Overall, I found the easiest and most effective way to search for feeds was through using bloglines, however it is not presented as nicely as Topix and you have to have a clear idea of what you are searching for because there aren't really ideas about what you are looking for on the bloglines page.

No comments: